All About Lab Grown Diamonds by the Experts at A&J Jewelers
At A&J Jewelers, we offer a wide selection of gemstones and jewelry designed to please just about everyone. We work with you to provide options that fit your budget and suit your style perfectly. If you are looking for lab grown diamonds for yourself or for that special someone, A&J Jewelers can provide you with the information and guidance you need to make the right decision for your jewelry-purchasing needs.
What Are Lab Grown Diamonds?
Also referred to as engineered, synthetic, cultured or lab-created diamonds, lab grown diamonds are the products of the same intense forces that create natural diamonds within the Earth’s crust. Laboratories typically use one of two methods to create diamonds:
- Chemical Vapor Deposition creation methods begin when a small diamond seed is placed into a sealed chamber that is heated to more than 1,400 degrees Fahrenheit. The chamber is flooded with methane, hydrogen and other carbon-rich gasses, which are ionized and adhere to the diamond inside the chamber.
- High Pressure-High Temperature methods also begin with a diamond seed, which is placed inside a piece of pure carbon. The carbon is then subjected to extreme heat over 2,700 degrees Fahrenheit and to high pressure of about 1.5 million pounds per square inch, which melts the carbon and creates a new lab grown diamond.
The diamonds grown through these methods can undergo further irradiation or heat treatments to create the perfect color for the finished diamond. Once cooled, the diamonds can be cut in a variety of ways to suit your tastes and your budget.
Natural diamonds take billions of years to develop. By contrast, lab grown diamonds are usually ready within a month. The color of the diamond often determines the length of time needed. For instance, white diamonds can take two weeks or more, while blue or yellow diamonds may take as little as five days to develop fully.
Lab Grown Diamonds vs Real Diamonds
According to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission, lab grown diamonds are real diamonds. They are impossible to distinguish from natural diamonds except under the careful scrutiny of a trained gemologist. Lab grown diamonds look precisely the same as their mined counterparts. This allows you to buy lab grown diamonds in the Atlanta metro area with confidence and ensures that you receive a beautiful and affordable diamond when purchasing from A&J Jewelers.
Lab grown diamonds are certified and graded in precisely the same way as mined diamonds. This allows you to determine the exact quality and grade of each diamond before purchasing it from A&J Jewelers. We will explain all the specifications and verifications to you to ensure that you make the right decision for your needs.
Lab Grown Diamonds vs Cubic Zirconia
As already discussed, lab grown diamonds are real diamonds that consist of carbon and that have the same cubic crystal structure as natural diamonds mined from the ground. Cubic zirconia, on the other hand, is only a simulated diamond and shares no chemical characteristics with real diamonds. Cubic zirconia gems may resemble diamonds. However, they have a lower refractive index and are not as hard as genuine diamonds.
Resale Value of Lab Grown Diamonds
Lab grown diamonds are less expensive to purchase than mined diamonds. Choosing lab grown diamonds that are certified and graded, however, can help you to protect your investment in these beautiful adornments. At A&J Jewelers, we sell only the highest quality gemstones to ensure that you receive full value for your money when you purchase from us. While the resale value of lab grown diamonds may not be as high as that of mined diamonds, these beautiful gemstones can prove their worth for many years to come.
Advantages of Lab Grown Diamonds
For many people, lab grown diamonds are preferable to naturally mined diamonds for the following reasons:
- Lab created diamonds do not require mining, which can lead to very dangerous conditions for workers and can damage the environment.
- The cost of lab created diamonds vs real mined diamonds is significantly less for diamonds of the same size and quality.
- Conflict diamonds are mined in war-torn areas and sold to finance the ongoing military actions in these areas. Also known as blood diamonds, these gemstones are associated with significant ethical issues.
If you are looking for lab grown diamonds in the Atlanta metro area, A&J Jewelers is your best source for engagement rings, diamond jewelry and wedding bands in Snellville and the surrounding communities. Give us a call today at 678-344-1022 to touch base with us. We look forward to the chance to make your diamond dreams come true.